Friday, December 2, 2011

Mmmm, jerky!

My friend consistently makes me some killer jerky. I decided it was time to try my own spicy marinade and see how it turns out. I started with about 1/2 pound of dried peppers (I think they're Serranos but I'm not certain - as long as they're spicy).


I tossed the peppers into our Vitamix and pulsed the thing until they were satisfactorily pulverized...but not so much that they became powder.

Yes, they're spicy - judging by the pepper dust that was flying through my nostrils.

I trimmed the fat from my meat and have it in the freezer to firm up before slicing it into strips. Once I've got it sliced up, I'll let it soak in the marinade for about 48 hours (covered and refrigerated, of course).

This is what my marinade is going to consist of...no measurements yet:
Here are the measurements:

Pepper Blend:
1/2 lb. ground Serrano peppers
2 Tbsp. dried onions
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. sea salt

Marinade:
1 whole fresh minced garlic clove
4 Tbsp. Pepper Blend
1 C teriyaki sauce
1/2 C Braggs Liquid Aminos
1/4 C worchestershire sauce
3 Tbsp. Colgin liquid smoke


So now I'm off to slice the meat and begin the marinating process...then it's time for drying...and then the most important part - eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment